Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Book #3 -- Alpana Pours

I have never been one to have multiple books going at the same time. I guess you could say I've always been a monogamous reader. New York has kind of changed that. So much of my reading is done on the Subway that I have to have books small enough to fit in my bag without contributing to my already strained shoulder. This causes me to have one book only for "on the go" and another book only for "on the couch". My "on the couch" book, which I'm still working on, is a full sized hardback with 641 pages. A little much to schlep around town. So this was my "on the go" book that I picked up on a whim at B&N.

Alpana Pours, is a non-fiction wine and lifestyle book, by Alpana Singh, one of the youngest people ever to reach the level of Master Sommelier. It is a lighthearted book about de-mystifying wine...making it more understandable and more approachable. I'm a big wine fan, and thought this might be interesting for picking up tips on choosing wines, as well as food and wine pairings for dinner parties and dining out. While the book does provide some helpful tips, it is mostly disappointing. I felt like Alpana was trying just a little too hard to sound cool, sexy, and edgy. A few too many unsolicited dating tips...how to pick a guy based on the wine he picks. A few too many unnecessary innuendos. Trying a bit too hard to be "Sex and the City".

To be fair, this book delivers exactly what it promises..."About Being a Woman, Loving Wine & Having Great Relationships." So, if you're wanting something more along the lines of the 840 page Oxford Companion to Wine, Alpana Pours is probably not for you. If you want a few general, helpful tips, this isn't bad...but there are probably better books on the market.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girlie,
    Love hearing about some good books. Too bad I'm the same situation without about 20 I need to read before going out and buying anymore. However, after reading the Scarlet Thread by Francine Rivers (good by the way), I realized how much I miss her as an author and dug out my old Mark of the Lion series that I haven't read for about 7 years. I'm now back to Book 1 and loving it. I have always thought people were NUTS for re-reading a book. Real book nerds do that. I never saw the point. But I was in desperate need for a book to get completely wrapped up in---heart and soul---so here I am. Doing the very thing I think is dumb. But most happily doing it anyway! :) I will leave you to your reading. I hope your week is going fabulously. I miss you and can picture your sweet/sassy smile while reading this. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete