Thursday, February 08, 2007

What kind of reader are you?

My friend April brought up a very interesting point about reading. There are essentially two kinds of people in the world...well, I should say two kinds of readers in the world. There are Library Readers and there are Barnes & Noble Readers. April, as well as my husband Kevin, are Library Readers. They get a book, read it, and are done. With very few exceptions, they have no desire to re-read a book they have already read. I mean, come on...what's the point? You already know what happens! No suspense, no drama. Boring!

I, on the other hand, am a Barnes & Noble Reader. If I like a book, I will read it numerous times. Why, you ask? It's like re-visiting an old friend. I have invested time, energy and emotion in these characters, this storyline. Sure, I know what's going to happen...but I enjoy watching happen again anyway.

Kevin will start a book, then, for whatever reason, put it down and not pick it up for years. When he does, he'll briefly skim the part he already read, and then pick up where he left off. In contrast, when a new Harry Potter book comes out, I will go back re-read every Harry Potter book that came before so I'm all caught up with the storyline. I've read some of those books 4 times!

April says, "I have always thought people were NUTS for re-reading a book. Real book nerds do that." Yes, I have been called a book nerd a time or two...and I'm okay with that. I am a nerd in many areas. I own my nerdiness.

So...what kind of reader are you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm a complete nerd, but more in the area of how excited I get about grammar. Sigh. It's not easy being me. I'm generally a library reader, but there are a few books I could read repeatedly. "Pride and Prejudice" falls into that category. Also "The Chronicles of Narnia." All of them. Oh, and the Bible. I've read that mug like fitty times. I'm so holy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tracey, so good to reconnect with you and kevin through the blog world!! hope all is going well for you two...congrats on celebrating 7 years of marriage last month! my husband and i are at 20 months and i can't wait for the years ahead with him.

    with regard to your blog...i'd have to say that i'm a barnes and noble reader...not because i like to re-read books, but because i love to own them!! i have tons of books, even those from childhood like my nancy drew collection, that i just can't part with. it's crazy, i know, but almost nothing gets me as excited as having a brand new book to read :)!

    ~jill (curry) kerby

    ReplyDelete