Thursday, January 04, 2007

All I Want for Christmas

I think it's definitely a sign of adulthood when at Christmastime you ask for, and receive cookware. And are so excited you want to do a little dance. Or maybe it's a sign that you should, a.) dream bigger, or b.) get out more. Either way, it was a cookware Christmas for Tracey! As I was approaching my 7 year wedding anniversary (Monday, in case you're curious), I realized that I could seriously use a kitchen upgrade. I am now the ecstatically proud new owner of one 8-inch All-Clad skillet, one 4-quart All-Clad sauce pan, and one 10-inch All-Clad all purpose brasier. It's cookery heaven!

On Christmas morning, instead of the 10-inch brasier, Santa actually brought me an enormous, shiny All-Clad lasagna pan. Clearly, Santa had not been in my kitchen, for when I got it home from Texas and put it into my oven (no, there was no lasagna in it), the oven door wouldn't even close. Sigh. So I had to return the large lasagna pan and get something that would fit in my miniscule oven...which is when I returned with the brasier. Imagine a 10-inch skillet, but instead of one long handle, it has two small handles on either side. It's, very cute actually, and made a delicious crusted chicken cacciatore two nights ago. Even with purging the old pans, I'm still having trouble finding cabinet/pot rack space for the new pans. Yes, that's how it is when you have one small cabinet for all your cooking/baking/mixing/ricing/spinning equipment, and one already overflowing makeshift pot rack (it was a towel rack at Bed, Bath, and Beyond in it's former life). Ooh, and did I mention...I also got a brand new food processor! I won't bore you with the details of it's shiny white surface, large 7-cup bowl, and wonderful inventive 3-cup bowl that fits down in the 7-cup bowl for smaller chopping jobs. Let's just say it's beautiful.

By contrast, my husband got very practical and marginally exciting things like a snappy new computer bag (don't worry..."snappy" is my word, not his), framed pictures for his office, a new coat, tickets to see Duke vs. Gonzaga at The Garden. But what was his most loved gift? A black market video game set I bought from some member of the Russian Mafia down on 14th street, west of Union Square. For $12.99, this thing has literally 76,000 games. All it is is a cheap, Nintendo looking game controller that you plug directly into your TV, and it is pre-loaded with games. I'm not talking new, high detail, graphically spectacular games. I'm talking Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, Contra, Joust, Donkey Kong...all those games that, if you were born in the mid-70's were the games you got with your very first Nintendo. It is fantastic. The night we opened it we were up until 3:00 a.m. playing games...and have had some subsequent late nights since. This thing is seriously ghetto, but I don't think I've bought my husband a gift that has made him this happy in our 6 years and 361 days of marriage.

I hope you all had cookware-video game Christmases, getting just what you wanted, or loving what you never knew you needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment