Friday, March 23, 2007

A Taste of Spring

After a crazy snow storm last Friday (which we missed), this Friday it's already 61 degrees at 11 a.m. Yesterday was the first day we had warm weather - in the 60's - and walking by Riverside Park it looked like the entire city took the afternoon off. There were executives in business suits sitting on park benches with their laptops, or pacing the sidewalk talking on the phone and smoking cigars. There was a boy sitting on an enormous rock outcropping practicing his violin. Every stay-at-home mom and nanny in the city was out, thankful to be able to let their kids run around outside. The sidewalks looked like stroller parking lots. We slept with our windows wide open last night...it was nice to feel like spring was finally coming.

Our trip to California was fantastic! I won't bore you with details, but we had an amazing drive up the coast...gorgeous weather! We spent time with college friends in LA and family friends in Santa Rosa. We had a couple of spectacular wine tastings in Napa, a wonderful night in San Francisco, and 2 full days in Riverside with Kev's family. We even had a bonus day as our flight home Monday morning was cancelled because of weather and we had to stay one more night. It gave us a chance to walk the 3rd street Promenade in Santa Monica, drive up to Malibu, climb the cliffs at Point Dume, and eat fish tacos for dinner at the Barefoot Bar at Duke's. Perfect ending to the trip!

We are home, and so looking forward to weekend to recoup after all the travel. That 3 hour time difference is brutal...I need a weekend to recover from my vacation! (I know, I know...pathetic.) We are looking forward to lounging on the couch and watching our March Madness brackets either boom or bust.

I hope you are tasting spring where you are, as well!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome home!! I was thinking of you last night. I think of you every time I go to Pei Wei now. And your brother, whose name I've forgotten...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of that sounds wonderful. Your last night sounded the best. I miss the barefoot bar! And I'm so happy for you both that you can experience some nice spring weather. It's been pretty gorgeous here for a couple weeks. Noah and I make sometimes multiple trips to the park a day. What a blessing! For now, Brian is out of town and I'm watching the USC/UNC game. The game doesn't affect my bracket because I had deemed Maryland winning several games. Tore up my bracket! But the other conferences I'm doing pretty good. We'll see. Good night!

    ReplyDelete