Saturday, July 26, 2008

Who knew?

Today Kevin, Cameron and I went to visit some friends here in the city who just had their first baby. Their little guy was born a week ago today, so we dropped by to take them food (take out gets old real quick), and meet the new little guy. Baby William was such a sweet little bundle. The thing that absolutely blew our minds was the fact that he was 7lbs, 12oz when he was born, and is nearly that now. He looked so tiny! Particularly held up next to our little Chunky Monkey, who started out 6lbs, 2oz and is now pushing 20lbs and eating solid food!

How is it possible that that was only 6 months ago? Everyone always said, "Oh, it goes so fast!" I can tell you right now, when you're a brand new mom who is only sleeping in 2 hour stretches at a time, showers about twice a week, and can hardly remember her own name, much less what day of the week it is, all you want to say to these people is, "Bull..." well, you know what I mean.

But then suddenly one day you look around and you are sleeping in rather long stretches at night, if not all night long. You shower daily, actually put on make-up and are potentially wearing clothes that are starting to resemble the things you wore before you gained (cough, cough) pounds. You have a little person who has gone from a bundle of nerves to a bundle of personality. And it has only been 6 months! I remember wondering if I would survive 6 weeks...6 months might as well have been the moon.

So, I tell my friend the new mom, "Oh, it goes so fast!" And I know exactly what she's thinking. And when I hold her sweet little 7lb, 12oz baby I think, "I wouldn't go back to being a first time mom with a 1 week old for a million dollars." Then Kevin and I leave with our little Mini, who isn't quite as mini as he used to be, and I think about how far we 3 have come in only 6 months. How different all 3 of us are. He is certainly not the Itty Bitty we brought home from the hospital half a year ago...and neither am I the same person that carried him out of the hospital that day.

I knew that babies changed so unbelievably, so dramatically in that first year of life. Who knew that Mommies and Daddies changed so much, too?


3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh. Great post. And I agree with every word. It is so strange.......the first year I mean, of your firstborn. It just gets better and better and better and the second child, well, that's HEAPS better. I haven't gotten to see you and Kev be parents much and makes me sad. Maybe we can visit NY, or you can visit IN? Take a look at my blog and maybe you'll want to come soon. :) It's a cool place. I miss your face, laugh and hugs. Give him (littlest) a kiss for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. It's so true. And I think that's what makes the second baby "easier" than the first...you actually KNOW that the sleepless nights, spit up, crying for no apparent reason (both you and baby), etc, etc actually do come to an end. Just today I told Justin that Shelby's age right now is my favorite age so far, and I know it will keep getting better and better. I know you'll experience the same thing! You're doing great!!! It just gets better and better!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I can't believe our little guy is 2 months old. The time has flown by! Cameron is adorable!

    ReplyDelete