Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Post-Maternity Wardrobe, or How is it Possible that Nothing I Own Fits Me?

I have the post-maternity blues. I'm not talking about Postpartum Depression, thankfully. Or even the slightly less serious condition with the undeservedly cute name, Baby Blues. Trust me, the blues you feel post-baby are not "baby" in size...it can feel pretty stinkin' overwhelming.

No, the blues I'm currently talking about is the post-maternity wardrobe blues. The realization that absolutely nothing you own fits. No single piece of clothing in your wardrobe fits your transition body. My pregnancy clothes are blessedly too big. And even if they do fit (let's hear it for drawstring waists!), I'm sick to death of wearing them. On the other hand, I'm not nearly back in my normal clothes yet. My body is strangely out of proportion from the way it used to be.

Oh sure, I got the 6 week "go-ahead" from my doctor. You know, the "you're-fully-recovered-from-your-surgery-and-can-start-exercising-again" go-ahead. Did anyone else feel like laughing in your doctor's face when she said that? I'm sorry, there are times when if given the choice between sleeping and doing absolutely anything else on the planet, including winning the lottery or meeting Hugh Jackman, I will choose sleep without even thinking twice. Yeah, exercising doesn't even make my top ten list.

So, it's really no wonder that nothing I own fits me...but it's still supremely annoying. Even shirts that fit fine everywhere else, now look a little...um...okay, a lot trashy with my newly inflated nursing figure. Yep, The Girls are currently of a size that many people pay good money to get.

However, it is against my religion to go out and buy clothes for my transitional state. I did give in and buy a pair of jeans a few simple shirts from Old Navy...always affordable. I hated doing it, but not nearly as much as I hate not having anything that fits right.

Oh well, such is life after having a baby. I just needed a chance to vent about it to people who would know the feeling and share in my annoyance. Here's wishing you all beautiful spring weather, restful sleep and jeans that fit.

2 comments:

  1. We love you and are here reading your blog and laughing and smiling. We love your honesty!
    Really would like some more Clem 3 webcam time as soon as possible, por favor.

    Love you so - J&R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM TOTALLY WITH YOU!!! I am mortified to be wearing my maternity jeans around. Every day (or the days I'm up and about before noon) I try on my pre-preg jeans and they never fit! I, too, bought Old Navy tops and I will be getting some jeans soon. AAGGHGH! Exercise - yeah right! (And my "girls" are verging on Dolly-size). How's that for commisserating? Love you!

    ReplyDelete