Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Afloat in a sea of balloons...

Get this...I have been hired by Macy's, the world's largest department store, to be a Special Character in the Thanksgiving Day Parade!

I good friend of mine from church, Misti, is a singing Christmas Tree in Santaland at Macy's during the holidays. Last Thursday we were at an audition together and she said, "you wouldn't be interested in being in the parade, would you?" I said, "uh...yeah!" She said they were looking for some actors to be some of the special characters in the parade. She immediately called the casting director, Wesley, who hired me on the spot.

So, last Saturday I, along with the other actors, met with Wesley at Macy's and he piled us all on a bus and sent us across the river to Jersey to their parade warehouse. This is where all Macy's floats go to die. You can see floats from years past all dismantled and stacked in this huge airplane hanger. There are also huge rooms full of costumes...every costume worn during the parade.

Is the suspense killing you? Are you dying to know what I am? Drumroll please...I am Thomas Jefferson. Not only am I Thomas Jefferson, I am basically a 15 foot tall walking float. Seriously. I am considered a float all unto myself. There are three Founding Fathers...me, Benjamin Franklin and George Washington. My costume includes this enormous backpack that looks like a hiker's backpack. You know, the big ones with the aluminum framework. Well, that's what this is like. There is a big lumbar support belt, shoulder straps, and the framework extends above my head by about a foot and a half. I am wearing these enormous padded pants, and then the Colonial style coat attaches to the top of the aluminum frame. Then, get this, my head is an enormous, 6-foot tall balloon! They inflate it with helium and then lash it to my frame. No kidding...I am a float. I have two balloon handlers...dressed as Betsy Ross. I will be walking the entire parade route on Thanksgiving day, including past the cameras in front of Macy's. So, all of you parade fans - look for Jefferson...it'll be me!! I'll try to post pictures next week.

Sorry it's taken so long for an update...I'm even getting heckled by my friends (thanks A.S.)! I"ll try and be a little more timely. Hope everyone is having a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I can not beleive that one my best friends is going to BE in the Macy's Day Parade!! I will definitely be watching!! I am so glad that you have joined the blog revolution. It is a great way to stay up with each other. But, it is hard sometimes to stay current....hence Jeremy and still having pictures up of our summer vacation well into October! Oh well, I am praying for you and your auditions! God has a plan! Go girl! You can catch us at jeremyandamber.blogspot.com!

    Love you and miss you!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of my little girl. :) She is taking the Big Apple by storm, isn't she. I can't wait for Thanksgiving Day to get here. I do hope that Kev is going to take bunches of photos and even digital movies of the moving Thomas Jefferson as he/she walks down the street. I've told all my friends, so go knock 'em dead.

    ReplyDelete